An empath and social innovator who served in both the Obama and Trump administrations, Amy Wilson has an inside view of how change most successfully occurs. She served from 2015 to 2018, for the White House under two administrations.
She started in the Obama administration and was appointed as an entrepreneur in residence for them. She eventually became the Director of innovation.gov, and created a movement of change called the Better Government Movement in the federal government.
Combined with her being an empath and highly sensitive person (HSP), she has written a book that blends empathy and innovation to take change to the next level.
Sympathy is the feeling that makes you feel like you’re lesser than the person for whom sympathy is felt. Empathy brings connection. Empathy builds this belief that I’m here with you rather than for you. Empathy is essentially this feeling that you are feeling a feeling with somebody as if you’re feeling it yourself. They find that people who are empaths have this thing they call a mirror neuron system. So, they have these neurons that, as humans, we want to connect with other people. People who are empaths have a more enhanced mirror neuron system. They want to connect, and they actually can’t stop connecting. They’re very present with them.
Being a highly sensitive person is like having a world of technicolor. It’s like when you walk out when you’re in The Wizard of Oz, you go from being black and white, and everything is bright around you. That has been Amy’s experience in a lot of ways. She feels things differently, and she feel things very deeply, sometimes. But that is something that she’s had to learn to harness and understand herself a lot more as she’s done this work and her own internal work, too.
Join Pat in this episode of Writing to get Business Podcast and learn more about Empathic, Empaths and Highly Sensitive People
- How can you turn your life’s difficulties into a vision for social change?
- What does innovation really mean?
- How can empathy initiate change?
- How can reaching out on your social network help you find people to interview for a book?
- How can writing a book become a journey of self-discovery?
Attention: Frustrated authors
You have the nagging feeling that comes from being unable to complete your book.
I’ve got an answer that works for getting your manuscript started – and finished.
- Is there an article trapped inside you that is aching to get written?
- Are you interested in developing or expanding your ability to write for publication?
- Are you unsure how to get started as an author?
- Does the idea of writing seem so overwhelming that you do not know how to start?
- Do you hesitate when you write, unclear if your punctuation or grammar is correct?
- Are you afraid of being embarrassed by misusing words?
- Are you concerned with avoiding traps associated with being an author or editor?
My blend of communications and technology skills enables me to communicate effectively and empathize with clients, stakeholders, and end users, while also being able to design compelling experiences. I specialize in building cultures of innovation and entrepreneurship, and frequently have a “side hustle” that keeps me on my toes. Oh, and I make documentary films, too.
Connect with Amy at https://www.amyjwilson.com/